Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Value of a Life

Judith Butler likes to talk a lot in her book how not all people are mournable. That some people have been dehumanified and thus their deaths are not as important as real humans. I think she has a point that not all deaths are equal but she draws the wrong conclusion from this. She assumes that since some people’s death means more to us than other that we devalue the others. I think it’s the other way around. That natural state between two human beings is one of not caring. Someone in China right now is probably dying, but I don’t know them and have no connection to them so I don’t care. This isn’t because I devalue them, it’s because I haven’t gotten to know them and thus haven't assigned any value to them.

In February my grandfather died, somewhat unexpectedly. The two of us were very close and his death hit me pretty hard. Then a few weeks ago an old friend of mine from high school committed suicide. I hadn’t seen him in a couple of years and while we were friends we weren’t that close. While his suicide was a little shocking, I more or less went about the rest of my day as usual. His death effected me more than some random person in Africa, but it didn’t crush me. I didn’t devalue him relative to my grandfather, but I did value my grandfather more.

So what does this mean? Well Judith Butler seems to be saying that we need to stop devaluing other people. But we aren’t doing that. It’s just that we never got a chance to know those people. Thus I propose that what we need to figure out how to do is build connections between different groups of people so that we begin to know them, and thus value them.


Matt Bank

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Bank said...

I am not excusing our apathy. Read my post and I think its pretty obvious. I close my entry by saying that we need to build connections in order to value other people more. If I just wanted to be apathetic I woudln't have said that. If I didn't want to change the situation and make it so that we can care about other people I wouldn't have recemonded building bonds. So now to counter your two points.
1) I am not saying that ignorance justifies apathy. I am saying that ignorance causes apathy. There is a big difference. Drinking causes bad driving. drinking does not justify bad driving. No where do I imply not not caring is ok.
2) I don't think that we have to personally know everyperson in the world. But we need to build connections between us. I feel a connection to the British becuase of cultural and historic bonds. I feel a connection with the Spanish becuase I spent a month there over winter break. If we can figure out a way to build bonds like this between more people, the apathy that is caused by ingorance (but remember not justified by it) will go down.

Matt Bank

Thu Apr 20, 07:04:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home